Tuesday 5 June 2012

Revised - Ultimate Brownie (Paleo Mug Cake)



You’re going to want to bookmark this one; trust me.

paleo-mug-cakes-with-walnuts

i have made this and my oh my!! its the real deal!!!!! tastes like a brownie (actually since posting this I have revised it somewhat and now it tastes more like chocolate cake - but that's not bad, right? I bet it would be amazing cooled ( i couldn't wait that long!) and topped with the avocado choc frosting....mmmmm

The original recipe is only 4 ingredients, but you can add in things like chocolate chips, walnuts, candied ginger, vanilla extract, and anything else to shake things up.  NOTE: since posting this last year i've played around with it and made it more cake like. hope you like the new revised recipe :)

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes
Ingredients(Makes 1 cake):


1 ripe banana
1 tsp almond butter(or any nut butter) - try my sunbutter recipe on this blog!!!
1 egg
1 heaping Tablespoon cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon coconut flour
1 Tablespoon almond meal (almond flour) - you can make your own in a coffee grinder
1/2 tsp baking powder


** sometimes i add a big heaping spoonful of full fat sour cream or yogurt to make it more moist ***


(I also add a tsp of whatever extract flavouring I feel like - almond, orange, vanilla, peppermint)
        
·         Chocolate chips, walnuts, dried fruit, coconut or other mix-ins(optional)

1.       With a fork, mash the banana into a smooth puree.
2.      Mix the almond butter, egg, cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking powder and flavouring into the banana puree until it forms an even batter.
3.      Fold in any mix-ins into the batter that you’d like. Otherwise, our the batter into a mug or other microwave safe container. lately i've been greasing a soup bowl with coconut oil and pouring the batter into the bowl.  comes out a lot easier.
4.      Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Carefully remove the mug from the microwave and enjoy hot, cold, or at room temperature.

NOTE: my good friend Nicole made this in a square 5 x 5 dish - it comes out flatter and makes 4 really nice sized "brownies" - since I LOVE peppermint, I have been adding a couple of drops of peppermint extract as well - sorta tastes like "After Eight" chocolate to me :)  Also, I love topping mine with fresh cream and drizzling it with maple syrup and shaved dark chocolate!!!! Below is a pic of my square brownie (this is one of 4 pieces) 



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete